From one MySpace addict to another...

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hello Myspace or Yours!

Hello readers! Let me introduce myself. My name is Alma. I will be joining this lovely family of bloggers so I may bring you my insights and observations about the jabberwocky of a site that is Myspace.
Myspace and I have a love-hate relationship. It's like chocolate....I don't need it, but I crave it...and I notice if I go a day without it. I love Myspace because it keeps me connected to long-lost friends and allows me to make new friends. I can also "spy" on those people who are not so much my friends...("Oh my God, that kid I grew up next to sure lost a lot of weight!" or "That creepy kid in middle school runs her own adult website?!" You know what I'm talking about...) I also love it, because it helps me network and promote my art. I have met many people and learned valuable lessons from some of the individuals I have encountered on Myspace.
But I also hate Myspace. Why? Because it has brought a whole new sense of cliquishness to the web. ("Oh God, she's so not on my top 8 anymore!") It also has brought another level of creepiness to the web. IE, child predators, freaky stalkers, and mom's that are way too old to be posting pictures of themselves in bikinis. But mostly I hate Myspace because it is unavoidable. You can't go anywhere in the US without overhearing somebody talking about their Myspace page. It's a cultural phenomenon. Instead of asking for people's phone numbers, we 'Myspace' them. Telephones and letters have lost out to messaging and comments. I guess I don't really hate Myspace because it's everywhere...but it does get annoying. What makes me really hate it though, is that fact that even after all of this complaining about how absurd it is....I will go check my own page. In a way, Myspace owns a big chunk of the communication and social sector of my life. Which of course, is secretly why I love it.:)
So you may be wondering what a kooky person like myself has to contribute to the Myspace or Yours blog. Well I will tell you: I will be writing my rants and raves about the things I love and hate about Myspace. Are you surprised? Most likely not... But, I will also be writing something useful ll. I will write about "Myspace Safety" as well. These will be the serious articles about how kids and grown-ups alike can stay safe on Myspace. (No one likes a stalker or a hacker.)

So there's my brief, slightly messy introduction. I look forward to writing articles and building a reader base.

Until next time,
Your classy lassy in the Rainy City,
Alma

1 comment:

Jenia (Evgeny) Cherkassky said...

Hey,
I don't like MySpace either, in fact, I don't like it so much, that I've just written a post about it, here it is