From one MySpace addict to another...

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

How To Delete Spam Comments On MySpace

Ugh, I logged into my MySpace account and saw this stupid comment on my profile:

Hey, I can track who visits my profile!
Now you can see everyone who looks at your MySpace page!

Click here to start tracking your profile visitors!

The worst part was that I COULDN'T DELETE IT! The "Delete Comment" button was oversized and when I tried to click on it, it just brought me back to the same page. The stupid comment would not go away!!

My first thought was, "Oh great, someone's going to hack into my profile." so I changed my password and logged back out again. Then I started searching on Google for some way to delete the stupid spam comment.

I finally found the help that I needed - so I'm passing it on to you. Here's what you do:

1) Go to your profile and click on the "View All" link at the top of your comment section.

2) Go the comment directly below the one you want to delete and place your cursor on the "Delete Comment" link.

3) Right-click on "Delete Comment" and select "Copy Link Location" - left-click.

4) Now go to your address bar (where you type in web addresses) and right-click then select "Paste". It should look something like this:

javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$Main$PagedComments$viewComments$commentRepeater$ctl55$deleteLinkButton','')

5) Don't hit enter just yet, because there's one more thing you have to do -- look in the address bar for "ctl---" (in bold above). You want to change the number so that it reads one number lower than the number there. By changing the number you will delete the comment above (which should be the spam comment). So if the number reads ctl55, change it to read ctl54. Pretty easy, right?

6) Now hit Enter. If you've done everything right, the spam comment should now be gone.

7) Do a little celebratory dance here -- or point your finger at the now deleted spam comment and say, "IN YOUR FACE SUCKA"

If you're wondering how this whole thing works... well I don't really know. All I can tell you is that you're re-creating the delete comment button that the spammer has altered and hidden from you. But if you want a more technical answer, you'll have to ask Jeremy, our resident MySpace tech expert. ;)

Hope this helps!!!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! that helped with the "evil" comment ^^ You rock :)

Unknown said...

You are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you so much

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much!

Anonymous said...

dang, thx for trying to help me, it doesn'r work, says sorry unexpected error. i misewell just delete my page, thx for the feedback tho

Anonymous said...

it wont copy the delete button for me?
help?

Anonymous said...

the spam comments are the only two on there what should i do

Anonymous said...

thanks! i was so annoyied when i saw i got spam. I hate it..ur way got rid of it,ty!

Anonymous said...

didnt work told me there was an unexpected error

Anonymous said...

the number is ctl00 so then what??

Anonymous said...

yeahh, what if it says ctl00???

Anonymous said...

for those of you who see ctl00, use ctl01

Anonymous said...

how do i delete more than one comment at a time?

Anonymous said...

even if i used ctl01, it keeps going to the "Sorry! an unexpected error has occurred. " page . what do i do now ?

copernicus said...

can i dealete multiple at once because i got like aoo of them

Nice Kicks said...

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

Anonymous said...

THANKS DUDE

Anonymous said...

Hi!, i've try everything but i'm still unable to delete these macy's stuff.

any help!?
Thank
Pt

Anonymous said...

Hi,
finally I've fixed the problem. For those of you who are using a mac, try it on a PC and go back to your mac!

Thanks a lot for the trick!

Pt

Anonymous said...

go into your settings, and select permision to post comments. so when you get one, you can view it before havign it posted. and can delete it there. that is all i do. but there are spam in bulitin board i am really fighting to rid of. the only thing i had working was adaware 2008, avaast for virus, and spybot. just do your scans daily and keep updated and your fine.

Anonymous said...

go into your settings, and select permision to post comments. so when you get one, you can view it before havign it posted. and can delete it there. that is all i do. but there are spam in bulitin board i am really fighting to rid of. the only thing i had working was adaware 2008, avaast for virus, and spybot. just do your scans daily and keep updated and your fine.

Anonymous said...

You are so clever!! woohoo Thank you Do you have any idea how to do this in msn and remove unwanted spam people? (ads and cam shows) That just appeared Please let me know or if you know who I can ask

Anonymous said...

Can you please help me! I wanted to delete my comment that I left to a others! When I press the word delete my comment, the page just refresh and the comment was there! i need help! Thanks!

nits said...

its useful article for many people like me. who r fed up of spams